Proton and Wine

Games and gaming tweaks
Forum rules
Behave
Grogan
Your Host

Proton and Wine

Post by Grogan »

Well, we don't have a Proton/Wine thread yet.

I just went to do a new build of my proton-tkg and noticed that Valve Bleeding Edge is now Wine 9.0 based!

I got as far as building the vr_client and it bombed out on inapplicable patches. I looked at the source file and see they aren't needed anymore so I commented them out in the scripts, but I still don't know if that's going to build. I might have to do some gymnastics to skip it altogether (I don't have a VR headset and have no plans to). The wine builds completed, the proton media converter completed, but there's vr_client, nvapi (which I also don't care about) and the dxvk and vkd3d-proton builds but those will be fine (I just upgraded those on my system last night).

I hope I can get this sorted, I'm eager to try it. I'd rather ping the guy with solutions if I report it.

P.S. It also looks like proton_9.0 is stable now. I can't open Steam right now (it'll break my game configurations because my configured proton tool is missing) so I can't check to see if it's being pushed out yet.

P.P.S. Yep, removing the vr_client patches was all that was needed. No other gotchas further down.
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Proton and Wine

Post by Grogan »

When the Ubisoft client updates, it works, but it is re-launched by the updater and seems to launch out of context. It prompts for an Ubisoft login and if you give it, it opens up the full Ubisoft client.

Instead, if a login prompt comes up, just kill it (click the x will suffice) and wait until it dies out and the Steam button says Play again.

Launch the game again normally, the updated client will load, there is no login and your game will launch. It's supposed to be just tied to your Steam account.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Re: Proton and Wine

Post by Zema Bus »

Yeah that's what I've been doing for quite a while now when that happens.