Updating A 1 year Old Arch Install

The place to discuss Linux and Unix Operating Systems
Forum rules
Behave
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Updating A 1 year Old Arch Install

Post by Zema Bus »

When I stopped using EndeavourOS (Arch based) I replaced the drive and put it in my external drive bay temporarily while configuring a fresh Arch install. Well I just now booted into it, it hasn't been updated in over a year, before wiping the drive I'm going to update it just to see if it implodes :mrgreen:
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Updating A 1 year Old Arch Install

Post by Grogan »

Yeah, I've been surprised at how long I go without booting up that Arch VM and it survives the updates. That's pure distro packages only though (for a dev box). I forget what it was, but I did have to manually do something once.

I'm going to be installing Arch on brand new hardware for the first time soon. Hopefully the boot image works and I'll have a working NIC (I need to do it over SSH... the procedure is otherwise too silly if you have to type all those configuration files from on the console). I've been thinking about maybe ditching this silliness on my new rig, but really there isn't anything better that would suit me for gaming. The PKGBUILD system is it's biggest redeeming quality. I can't work with shit like Ubuntu and Fedora.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

I had to rip out some stuff to get it to even go through the update process. Lots of prompts to ok package changes, and lots of PGP keys to update. But it ended with:

Code: Select all

error: linux-api-headers: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-api-headers-6.7-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] n
error: glibc: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/glibc-2.39-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: gcc-libs: signature from "Frederik Schwan <frederik.schwan@linux.com>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/gcc-libs-13.2.1-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: zlib: signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx) <levente@leventepolyak.net>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/zlib-1:1.3.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
That was just the beginning of that output, there were a lot more of those. Not worth spending any more time on it I just wanted to see what would happen.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Your compile times will be a lot shorter soon :)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

You have to install archlinux-keyring first :-)