Roku Forced Arbitration

This is the place to discuss anything.
Forum rules
Behave
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Roku Forced Arbitration

Post by Zema Bus »

TVs with Roku built-in and connected to the Internet got a big dialog on their screens making them agree to forced arbitration. This was about a week ago, now it comes out that there was a big Roku breach with lots of their users having their data and accounts stolen. So now we know the reason for the forced arbitration. 8 min video:

Grogan
Your Host

Re: Roku Forced Arbitration

Post by Grogan »

Well, if your data is stolen, and there are no consequences, it's really not that big of a deal. It just means you have to be vigilant. The company should spring for a monitoring service.

As for EULAS, I don't agree to any of it. I agree to do whatever the fuck I want with the software or service, or TO it. These blanket agreements that say "we can change the conditions any time at our discretion" makes them fair game to me.

"The only thing I want connecting to the Internet is my router and my Linux PC" <--- This.

My parents have a smart TV but they don't use any of that shit (my sister and offspring might use the "smart" menu to run Netflix if staying over... I really dislike that on my Network, but I'm not going to be an asshole about it)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I just had to agree to some asshole conditions to log in at MSI.

"Agree MSI NEW FORUM to process your email & personal data" With buttons "Agree" and "Disagreed"

If I Disagreed to it, it doesn't log me in.

What a loaded question, agreeing to allow them to "process my email and personal data". That doesn't mean just "store my email and personal information" in their database, they already have that implied by registration. That practically gives them the right to use it for anything or sell it to anyone.

I am Disagreedable to it, so fuck MSI login. If I need anything, I'll hold their feet to the fire in other ways. (They can't make registration a requirement for warranties or anything in Canada)

P.S. I think that's just stupidly worded, they mean to ask if it's OK for the forum to access my MSI account information :lol:
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Probably written by someone who's English skills need some work, just like whoever wrote the descriptions of the bios settings :)