Contact Us About Us Services Forum Home Page Home Page

Go Back   Discussion Forums > Mikeserv Forum

Unread January 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #1
mcyuke
Overclocker

Default Hello

Hello Mike and others,

Just came across an ad for this in a shoreline beacon and thought I'd drop by and check it out.

As a computer enthusiast it's nice to know that there are others in the area that share my interests, I am more of a hardware/overclocking guy so I am not well versed in the networking and software/os area. I am always learning though as I "manage" a small home network with about 4-5 PCs online at a time.

I have been playing around with Ubuntu and I have set it up on the computer that my father uses daily as I couldn't find a IBM XP Pro ISO and it's been great. He still needs my help to do stuff but that would be the same even if he was still running XP.

My main rig is currently running XP sp3 and I am going to dual boot with the new Windows 7 beta to give it a go. I'd try it in a VM but I only have 2gb installed and I want to experience the actual speed of the OS running with my hardware.

I'll pop in and out of here a few times a week and see if I can lend a hand or give some opinions on any problems or questions that are posted, I might even ask some questions myself!

Take it easy,
Matt
mcyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #2
mcyuke
Overclocker

Sorry just testing if my signature showed up as it didn't in my first post. :P
500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 - XP SP3
Antec 900 case - Corsair HX520 PSU
Wireless Internet provided by www.gbtel.ca
Unread January 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Mike
Your Festive Host

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Yep, Windows 7 will definitely not run the same in a virtual machine as it will on bare metal. I've tried it in Vmware and Virtualbox. It still gives you an idea what to expect, but at the very least you can't use the eye candy that requires graphics acceleration.

Personally I'm more of a Nix guy... I just boot Windows for some games. I've got a Vista install with all the crap disabled. It really is a sickening operating system until you trim it down. I'd much prefer XP, but Vista has the advantage of better support for modern hardware. For one example, it's better threaded to make use of multi core processors. I'm also a graphics whore, and like the improved shader effects in games that support Directx10.

You're most welcome to drop by any time you like. No worries about the signature tests either.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread January 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #4
mcyuke
Overclocker

Well I placed an order yesterday at lunch for a 2x2gb set of Gskill ram for $55 and a Coolink GFXchilla for $25 for my 8800gt and it was on the truck for delivery at 9:37am this morning all the way from BC. You have to love when express shipping is the same price as ground.

It should be here anytime soon and I should be getting the Win7 .iso from my brother next time he comes in from Port Elgin so I'm pretty excited about that.
I really wish this wireless isp offered more bandwidth at a more reasonable price ($45/m for 55kb/s sustained download) so I wouldn't have to bring my laptop into town when I need to download but it's better than the 33.3k that we had here for a few months before we found out about this ISP.

Now where is that damn purolator truck!
Unread January 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Mike
Your Festive Host

RAM is the next thing I need to replace. I've got 4 Gb of Kingston Valuram that doesn't tolerate any FSB increase at all. At the time I didn't want to spend the money on more expensive RAM, so now I'll have to pay for it again. What you got there is a very good deal. I ought to order that too. These G0's overclock very well but I have to run mine at stock because of the RAM. I can play with the memory divider, but I value stability over all else. I compile a lot of software in Linux and need correctness.

As for the video card, I just crank up the fan duty cycle to 100% with RivaTuner when playing games in Windows. In Linux I use a program called nvclock. I have a BFG 9800GX2 OCX that runs pretty hot though and the default fan duty cycle is 45%. That means it idles around 70C. What were they thinking? For normal use I run the fan at 60% and that keeps it around 60C. The GPUs are meant to run that hot though. The danger point isn't until it gets to 105C. It would be pretty hard to replace the cooler on this card. It's two PCB's inside a cartridge-like casing and the fan sits between them internally. So it's a good bloody thing I registered for BFG's lifetime warranty.
Unread January 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #6
mcyuke
Overclocker

Yeah, I was using rivatuner also with presets so I could just right click on the rivatuner icon and change it.

I would run the card at 40% fan speed when not gaming and it was idling around 60c, with the fan at 100% it went down to 52C (20c roomtemp)
100% load with RTHDRIBL 40% speed would hit 100C in no time and keep climbing while 100% would max at 88c. This is with all the tricool fans in my case on the lowest setting. Now with this new cooler I am idling at 38C and load at 50-51C with no noise!

The sandwiched PCB design with the 9800gx2 was different, I much prefer the newer 4870x2 and GTX295 design. I do like the idea of SLI/Crossfire on a single card so you don't have to use one of the 650/680/750/780i nvidia motherboards.

What is the speed of your ram? with DDR800 I can run at 3.6ghz 9x400 and the ram is still running it's rated speed at a 1:1 memory divider.
If it's DDR667 you can run 1:1 and have the cpu at 9x333 for 3ghz like I am running now. These CPUs run so well that I am running just under stock voltage at 3ghz and am able to run 100 passes of Intel Burntest which is said to be equal to something like 80 hours of Prime 95.

Nothing wrong with wanting absolute stability though, I'm just an overclocker/hardware nut at heart.

I'm curious what the rest of your rig looks like if you are running a 9800gx2, I don't run into many people around here that are capable of building their own computer let alone have a decent computer.
Unread January 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Mike
Your Festive Host

It's the 667 MHz stuff, and any fiddling about tends to cause problems. Sometimes subtle (which can be the worst because it corrupts data leading to inexplicable errors), sometimes not so subtle. I didn't try that hard though. Before I mess with that again I'll want to get better RAM and a better cooler. I'm just running the Q6600 with stock cooler (fan 100% though... fan control disabled. I hate that shit) at 2.4 GHz. It runs pretty cool... idles in the low 30's and doesn't get any hotter than 50C with all cores busy compiling.

My rig is nothing fancy. It started out with a core2 duo E6600. One of the bios upgrades made the board capable of running the Q6600 with G0 stepping so I bought one.

It's an older board, a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 3.3

The RAM is Kingston Valuram, DDR2 667 MHz. 4 x 1Gb

This is the video card: BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 OCX

Display is Viewsonic VX922 Xtreme

Power Supply is: Antec True Power Quattro 1000W (some future proofing there)

I've got 3 hard disks in this rig at present. I have a 250 Gb Western Digital WDC WD2500JS, a 74 Gb Western Digital WDC WD740GD 10,000 rpm Raptor, and a 1 TB WDC WD1001FALS the model with 32 Mb cache.

The case is a black InWin tower. I can't remember the model.

My main OS is a pure 64 bit Linux system that I built from scratch that I use for my work. It's perfect (It has exactly and only what I like and need) I have Vista Business Edition for games. (I've disabled all the crap and run a minimal load of services)

For Internet I have Bell "Ultra High Speed Business Edition". It's 6 mbit service, and I download at approximately 620 kilobytes/sec. As soon as BMTS gets a fiber optic line to my dungeon I'm going back to them, though.

It's going to be time for an I7 system soon I think so I probably won't be spending any more serious money on the current system. This time I'll plan it better though, so I don't have to waste money buying stuff later that I'm not satisfied with.
Unread January 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Mike
Your Festive Host

I tried it again, and no go. At 3 GHz, it won't even post. (doesn't even show the memory count and it shuts down and automatically reverts my settings)

I set the memory SPD multiplier to 2.0, (On auto, it's 2.5) the bus to 9x333 and it showed the memory frequency as 667. I also tried fixing the PCI-Express frequency to 100 MHz rather than Auto but I suspect it's memory failure.

That's basically all this board gives me. Multiplier (which is of course upwardly locked with these CPUs), bus frequency (host clock), memory SPD multiplier and two DRAM options (option 1 and option 2, neither of which works), PCI-E bus frequency and voltage settings. (I was just letting the bios optimize the voltages... "auto" recommended when overclocking)

I thought maybe it might work now, with recent bios updates but it's the same behaviour as in the past. I could play with it and get it to boot at, say, 2.7 GHz but then I'll get instability (kernel panics) and data corruption. I didn't try that again this time. The RAM just won't take it.

I was just testing, I wouldn't have kept the 3.0 GHz settings with the stock cooler, but if it would have booted and ran for a bit I'd have gladly done that if viable.

For the Hell of it I'll probably get some more suitable RAM and try it again. It won't cost that much. I should have bought 800 MHz stuff anyways.