Contact Us About Us Services Forum Home Page Home Page

Go Back   Discussion Forums > Computer Questions

Unread June 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
thenailgal

Default resizing

I just would like to know how to resize a file in order to send it in e-mail, I have XP
thenailgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread June 18th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Mike
Your Festive Host

Welcome to the forum.

Do you mean resize a photo so that it can be sent by email? Or do you mean that you want to somehow make another file type smaller so it can be sent by email?

For a photo, you generally would use some photo editing software that is installed on your PC to resize it. If you have a scanner or digital camera, there may be some photo suite installed that allows you to crop and resize photos. If you have Microsoft Office, you may also have the Microsoft Photo Editor or PictureIT installed. I have no way of knowing what you have.

You can download the free Irfanview program if you just need a simple viewer/editor:

http://www.irfanview.com/

When you install it, pay attention during the install to optional bundled software like the google toolbar. If you don't want it, uncheck the box when it's presented to you.

If you open an image with irfanview, you can go to the Image menu in the program, and choose "resize/resample" and then change to smaller dimensions or a percentage of the original size. After you resize it, go to the File menu and save your image.

If it is another kind of file that you wish to make smaller, you may be able to reduce the size by compressing it with a program like WinZip, depending on the file type. (many file types are compressed already). You can also use Winzip to split the archive into several pieces, though I probably would not recommend this.

There are limits to what you can send in email. Large file sizes aren't really practical.

There are also file upload services where you can upload your file and then email someone a link to it so they can download it:

www.yousendit.com
www.filegone.com
www.mailbigfile.com
www.sendspace.com

I do not personally endorse any of these links... I've never used these services before. I just know they are there.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread March 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Marv Shellard
Old I.T. Guy

One simple thing to reduce the size of pics is to make sure you change the file type bitmap to jpg, the pic quality change on your monitor is nil but the size change is significant
Marv Shellard is offline   Reply With Quote