Contact Us About Us Services Forum Home Page Home Page

Go Back   Discussion Forums > Computer Questions

Unread October 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
polardude

Default Compaq Evo N610c laptop cycling on/off

While troubleshooting a battery charging issue, I contacted HP,their web site indicated my BIOS was in need of an update. After the update, I reatarted
but all I got was the cooling fan cycling on and off every 3 to 5 seconds.
I have tried removing the batteries, hard drive (which is new) floppy etc.
with the same results. I have stroked every key and combo and removed the internal battery.
Summary- As soon as I plug in my laptop, the cooling fan is all that starts and that is only for 3 to 5 seconds and it keeps cycling as long as it has power. I can stop this by hitting both power buttons but the cycling resumes as soon as one is released. I did install a new hard drive and all worked well for about a week.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards polardude
polardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread October 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Mike
Your Festive Host

Hi polardude

I'm afraid your situation sounds pretty bleak. Being unable to initialize the laptop to boot, you have no way of re-flashing the bios. Bios updates can be risky, and turn your computer into a paper weight if they don't apply properly.

I doubt you would be able to boot from a "DOS Diskette" (assuming you even have the optional diskette drive that would interchange in the CDROM bay) to attempt to re-apply:

ROMPaq for HP Notebook System BIOS (68P4F ROM) – DOS Bootable Diskette

It sounds like you have tried everything I would have. Power down, remove battery, remove "internal" battery to clear CMOS. You say you tried pressing all the keys and combos, so I presume you can't get into the bios setup to "load defaults" after clearing the CMOS.

I don't know what good it would do, but you should contact HP/Compaq support and see what they say. (call, start a chat, maybe even post in their forums). Probably it would have to be shipped back to them for repair, but it's an older laptop now and probably long out of warranty and may not be worth it.

Sorry, I sure do wish I could help.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote