Contact Us About Us Services Forum Home Page Home Page

Go Back   Discussion Forums > Computer Questions

Unread April 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Marv Shellard
Old I.T. Guy

Angry More Vista Problems

Trying to install H.P. Photo Smart E327 software to new system running VISTA !!

Apparently vista is not ready to allow this--any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marv. Shellard

Last edited by Marv Shellard; April 25th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Marv Shellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 25th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Mike
Your Festive Host

Reinstall is a bad word. You never "reinstall" stuff like that (over top of existing)

Actually, you would not want to install drivers from the CD that came with it. I'm looking at HP's site and there's special instructions for VISTA. If the downloadable software doesn't work (Photosmart Essential 2.0), you are supposed to just use the wizard in the Windows Photo Gallery. Vista should be able to talk to that camera (or the hardware detection wizard should download a driver)

Using your camera with Windows Vista

HP Photosmart Essential 2.0

So you'd best unplug the camera and uninstall what you have, and then install that Photosmart software from the web site. Plug in the camera and it should be recognized.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread April 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Marv Shellard
Old I.T. Guy

Thanks for reply, since posting (in frustration) I have waded through the H.P. site and found that the E327 is not yet supported with a download for Vista. Maybe in the future.

My attempt to download Essential 2.0 also failed but using the Windows Photo Gallery will at least allow getting the pics from the camera to the system and will now try to find the user a photo editing program that works on Vista.
Unread April 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Mike
Your Festive Host

Your attempt to download it failed? Or your attempt to install it failed, or once installed it failed to work, or failed to access the camera?

I don't see why there should be a problem downloading it, it's only about 10 megs. I downloaded it just to see and I had it in seconds. It's the "Essential" version though... so it's probably mickey mouse.

The camera itself probably does not need a download for Windows. You just need some software. What kind of image editing are we talking about? Just resizing/cropping, converting etc? If so, Irfanview (freeware) might suffice:

http://www.irfanview.com

While this is probably outside the user's skill level, there's also The Gimp which is Free Software. It's not all wizardy and user friendly though, there are some photo editing concepts a user needs to understand. It's also got a completely different style of user interface that many would find foreign. This is the program that I use. Mostly under Linux, but I also have it installed in Vista. It's excellent software.

I'll give you links to it anyway, even if only for interest's sake.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

You need to install the gtk+ environment first (also available on download page). Install Gimp after that. It takes a bit to open the first time, as it builds a list of your fonts and stuff. You choose your tools with the main program window buttons, but all work is done in the image window... you right click in the window to access menus, or use the menus at the top of the image window.

Paint Shop Pro is another good, advanced photo editing program yet relatively easy to operate. It's not free though ($80)

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1155872554948
Unread April 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Marv Shellard
Old I.T. Guy

Thanks Mike, I will retry the download of Essential again but first we have ordered some more memory for the user, currently the system is terribly slow. Will discuss the goals re pic editing and then set something up for her. Hope I am not being a pain in the butt with so many requests but interestingly there seem to be quite a few views of my Vista problems so maybe when more people see how helpful you are they might also get involved.

Marv.
Unread April 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Mike
Your Festive Host

Most of the views are probably just the search engine bots in addition to us checking the threads.

It's no problem Marv, if I can help I'm happy to. It never hurts to run something by me.