Contact Us About Us Services Forum Home Page Home Page

Go Back   Discussion Forums > Computer Questions

Unread July 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #1
DAS

Default 4 Programs on 4 comps 1 mouse n Key board

I am looking for a way to run four of the same programs on four different comps off of one key board and mouse. (ie open MS word on all four comps. what ever I type on one comp will show on the word doc on all four comps as I type.) I have windows xp on all four comps. A kvm was close but not what I was looking for. I thought the KVM was my fix but I need a way to do the exact same thing at the same time on 4 different comps. any ideas would be great
DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread July 5th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Mike
Your Festive Host

Hello DAS

I don't think what you're looking for exists. At least I've never heard of such devices and software.

Yes, it would require special software to tie this together. Think about what it would have to do. First of all, a device would have to route keyboard and mouse signals to all 4 computers, but then how would there be knowledge of the applications receiving the input on all the computers? It would be more complex than you might think, to synchronize like that.

If such a solution exists, it would be very specialized and expensive and probably would not be done at that level. It would more likely be some sort of remote control desktop software that operates over a network. I don't know of any that will let you control 4 PCs simultaneously and do and display the same thing simultaneously on all of them. Maybe multiple connections to multiple PCs for remote management, but not synchronizing input like that. Examples of remote desktop software are PCAnywhere, VNC, Carbon Copy which advertises "one-to-many" connections but still doesn't do what you want (http://www.codework.com/carboncopy/product.html)

A KVM is just for sharing peripherals between computers... one at a time. There isn't that type of communication. It's not even close.

Sorry, I don't know.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread July 6th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
DAS

How about a usb splitter is there such a thing that would send the same signal to many comps from on usb key board?

Last edited by DAS; July 6th, 2006 at 11:22 AM.
Unread July 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #4
Mike
Your Festive Host

No, splitting the signal isn't going to accomplish what you want. A USB splitter is just like a pass through, that would allow you to connect more than one thing to a USB port. Sorry, I can't help you with this.
Unread July 7th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #5
DAS

thx for the info
Unread July 14th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #6
DAS

If this question ever hits this forum agian I fount a program I was looking for
https://solidice.com/keyclone/index.html
Unread July 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Mike
Your Festive Host

Hey great, thanks for the followup. I had a look around when you asked your question and I didn't find that.

I see it is a network thing, but it's very inexpensive. I hope it works well for you.